Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dashed Expectations

Kaitlyn has a cold today, so she needed to stay with us during church time so as not to infect the entire nursery. (Why don't all parents do that, by the way?) So, when it was time for communion, I decided to just carry her up with me. In my mind, I was about to share in a sacrament, a remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection. I was trying to focus in that direction. I walked up the aisle to the front and received communion. But, there was only one problem. Here's the scenario from Kaitlyn's perspective:

Kaitlyn thinks: "Mommy and Daddy walked me all the way up to the front of the church, where there were these fancy bowls of bread and cups of juice. But, they had the nerve to both have a snack without sharing any with me!"

She howled the entire way back up the aisle, and then some! I must admit, as soon as the howling started, my first instinct was to do the only thing that would shut her up quickly--grap a bread chunk and hand it to her. But, I quickly realized that, of course, you can't do that with communion bread! Hmm...I'm starting to realize this new realm of awareness she has developed is going to limit our behaviors a little bit.

I was just commenting to Roy this morning about how amazing it is that babies go from these blobs to little people so quickly! As sweet as she is, Kaitlyn (at 14 months) is definitely a little person now, with an agenda, a will, a temper and a manipulatingly cute flirtatious side. I love every bit of her, though. We marvel daily at how blessed we are to have such wonderful kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home